Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pride

I'm part of a smaller department in the Midwest. Our EMS is separate from the fire service but located in the same building. Most of the people on the fire side belong to the EMS service. We're one of the lucky departments on both sides because staffing seldom has been a problem. Other departments know that usually if they call us they'll get a fully staffed truck or crew out the door in a matter of minutes. We have about 40 people on the fire side and roughly 90 on the EMS side. Both sides are volunteer save 2 paid EMTs during the weekdays and our paramedics are paid a minimal hourly wage.

One thing I've seen year in and year out is a lack of pride. I've been a part of this service since 1988 and certified in something since January 1989. I was giving narcotics to patients before I was 21, which was old in itself.

There are a lot of us around that have been a part of our service since high school. Some grew up around the department. Me? I just knew I wanted to be a part of it. Nobody in my immediate family is, was, or has been anything medical anywhere. I enjoy the thrill and challenges that the fire and EMS services both throw out each and every day.

Probably the hardest thing to deal with is pride and the lack of it I see quite often. I speak about it often to people, I practice it every shift, I wear my department attire with pride; I like to show it off. I don't use it as power to stand over people. I don't flaunt who we are and what I am. I am one of millions nationwide trying to make a small difference in my area and maybe elsewhere through education, communication, or experience.
We boast a lot of people as members of our service. Yet time and time again we see just who the people are who take pride in our department and what they are. These are the people who show up for meetings and public events, cover shifts, train and educate others, and truly want to make a difference. These are the same people who want their voices heard about opinions or issues, take care of the equipment we have, and want to help others out. Pride, pure and simple.

The same core group is there day after day, shift after shift, helping others out without fail. Donating time or energy is second nature. Helping others is human nature. What's "volunteering" called? Maybe "dedication?" I'm one of those that realize that had it not been fore our departments I wouldn't have gotten to do or see half of what I have since high school. I've traveled the world and gotten to do things most can only dream about. I credit it all to where I began my EMS career, at a small volunteer BLS service.

How do other departments get others to take more pride in who they are, what they are, and what they represent? Is it that generations have changed that much? Have thoughts and cultures evolved to the point where respect has gone out the door? The generation coming up now is being raised by my generation. I'm not that old yet I see kids today that don't have the same desire, work ethics, or passion for things like I used to, like my generation did when we were their age.

Like most EMTs, AEMTs, EMT-Is, and EMT-Ps, I busted my ass to get my certification and license and I was damn proud to show it off. I still am. I've made a living by helping others and one that I'm very proud of. I feel like I've made a small difference in peoples' lives through education, caring for others who were sick or injured, or just by being "there."

I love what I do. I still do after all these years. Next year begins my 20th year as an EMT-P and 23rd as an EMT. I'm proud of what I've accomplished. I'm proud of what I've become. I'm proud to say that I've made a difference in some peoples' lives. I'm proud of my roots and where I began my career and I'll always come back here.

Teach pride as best you can. Make others proud of what they have and who they are. Hopefully the generations to follow will keep the same level of pride in the EMS and fire services that we have. Remember that pride in who you are, what you do, what you're a part of, can be defined differently by all. Be proud of everything you do. Take pride in your work and efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment