Monday, November 22, 2010

Head Honcho

Recently I filled out a survey at work (non-EMS) where one of the questions was if I was satisfied (or not) about the possibilities of advancement. That same question pops up year after year. I worked in other places at EMS jobs or EMS related jobs and the same question popped up those places as well. Do I think my chances are good to advance? Could I advance my career?

And then I started asking questions of my own.

Do I want to advance? What benefit could I give my company by advancing? What's the job scope? How much more responsibility will I have to take on? What are the headaches and pitfalls? Do I have the qualifications? Will I gain or lose respect from colleagues by taking this advancement? What would I hope to achieve? What kind of goals would I need to set for myself or the company? And as always, what's in it for me?

The old adage of "not being able to please everyone all of the time" is SO true. There's seemingly more people to deal with in EMS and the fire service because of our schedules than a normal 9 - 5 job. We have a lot of people because of different shifts. We deal with the public, with our staff, with vendors, and with healthcare facilities. Some even deal with government entities. Some services are paid, some are volunteer. The problems are similar on both sides of the playing field.

Saw someone ask today on Twitter about why he wanted to get back in to management. I replied, "because I got sick of the inadequacies, the inefficiency, the bull%&, and KNOW I can change all of that." Just my thoughts that have been seconded by lots of others all over the world.

Probably one of the biggest problems I faced was respect when I was named the head cheese. Respect doesn't come easily. It has to be earned from peers, colleagues, superiors, and subordinates. If it's not there, the road could be long, uphill, and potentially very, very rocky. It matters not how long you're been in the job, how much experience you have, or how many hours you pull each week. It's about respect. I have 23 years in EMS and by no stretch do I hold the seniority belt at our service. I've gotten to see and do a lot all over the world but I pale next to others.

We are lucky, luckier than most, in that we have a huge array of experiences, experience, and knowledge from which to pull from. The amount of sheer knowledge and experience I have to lean on is tremendous. I try to use whatever I can to help make the best decision I can in the best interest of who we are while trying to fulfill our service's needs. I poll some for advice and others for experience. I get a lot of unsolicited advice and suggestions that are always taken in to account. Some I tear apart on the spot and play devil's advocate, others have a lot of validity and they're used when the situation merits.

When I began my reign I wanted to change the world. I was met with a lot of resistance for a variety of reasons. One probably was that I failed to talk to others first. I wanted things one way without consulting those who were doing the work. While my intentions were what's best for the service I lost sight of the need to accommodate for those who did the work, including myself. Just because I do things one way doesn't mean everyone does, nor do I do things for the same reasons as others. Everyone's situation is different.

Being in charge IS a lot more headaches. It IS a lot more responsibility. But if nothing else, I too have learned from my mistakes. I've learned by watching others make mistakes so that I know which avenues to take and which pitfalls to avoid. I don't have all the answers but I do know that EMS is a fickle animal and it takes a lot to keep things running smoothly. There are the daily rigors that must be dealt with but they can be managed. It's the super duper debacles that come across every once in a while that make the job very challenging. Our service runs itself. I honestly view myself as just another cog in the wheel. I don't need to micro manage everything and never have had to. Maybe I'm lucky in that respect where others aren't.

I'm sure that there are people who want to be in my shoes making the decisions, doing the same tasks, dealing with issues and problems with their version of justice and punishment. Not all view things the way I do and I accept that. But for now I'm here making those choices,... with assistance. I've learned to ask, not something I used to willingly do. If I need help I get it. If I can handle it myself, I do. Sometimes it's just easier that way. When my desire to see our service continue to succeed wanes, I'll gladly step aside. I understand that some of my decisions and choices could greatly impact the public we service and who depend on us 24/7/365.

I love my job. I love EMS. I love the challenges it serves up. I don't like the problems and headaches but I signed up for it and know that they too must be dealt with. I do what I do in hopes of keeping our great service alive. People long before me got our service running and it's my goal to keep it that way while trying to improve things as I can. I take questions, listen to suggestions, welcome feedback from everyone. If I didn't love what I do, I wouldn't be doing it today, 23 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment