Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Making a Difference

When I was in high school I worked during the holidays and summers for my uncle. It was usually hard work that went hand-in-hand with some long hours, especially on shutdowns. The money was good for a high school kid and I enjoyed spending it. I learned a lot from him and the guys who worked for him. I also learned my work ethic from him, something that not many people seem to have these days.

His work ethic as a business owner and employee was one that never ceases to amaze me, even today. He's constantly on the go, always working, and he takes great pride in his work when it comes to details and the smallish things that a lot of people overlook. It's the extra couple minutes of cleaning, putting a nut on a bolt the right way, fixing the ding in the sheet metal that wasn't our fault; things like that he's always done to ensure customer satisfaction so that they come calling again if they needed our services.

Daily here at work I do a new contractor orientation. I may have 1 or 20 people come through this class and I see a wide variety of people from all walks of life that come to work here. One thing I always make a point about during that class is taking pride in the work that is performed here. Working at a children's hospital is a little different than anyplace else I've ever worked. I'm sure that some of it has to do with me having 3 kids but it's part of it. Many people have come through here telling me that their kids were treated here, someone in their family was here, or that they themselves were here. I always mention that we're building a hospital to take care of and treat the future generations and to not cut corners. It might save a little time and money to put "this paint" on versus "that paint" but would anyone want to come here knowing that corners had been cut to save money if they were bringing their own kids here? I want the best for my kids and I hope that everyone working here feels the same way.

It's all about taking pride in your work, craftsmanship, and the work ethic you exude every day. Hopefully some of it's infectious to those working around you. I want people to be proud of what they do and what they accomplish. I want people to be able to stand back and look at their handywork after they're done and smile saying, "I did that!" All the while knowing that eventually, at least here, that a sick child who's here for treatment will be able to be treated better, have some enjoyment, or be more comfortable just because someone took the extra couple minutes to do things the right way, put that little extra added touch, or made things look that much better in the patient care areas.

Daily I see hundreds of people walk through our doors knowing that they've come to one of the best places for care of their kids: all colors, shapes and sizes, and religious beliefs. They all come here for one reason; to get their child healed and back to leading a normal life. All of that could not be possible without the dedication of the staff, doctors and nurses, and the people who built and keep the facility running like it should.

Most jobs I've ever worked I hear people gripe and moan about this problem or that problem, all too often just to be heard. The problem is usually insignificant and meaningless in the realm of their job but it still gets heard. "It's not my fault. It's not my problem. Someone else left it that way."

Seriously?


Do something about it. Take a little pride in your work and of where you're working, regardless where it is. Too many people want a pat on the back for things that are so small and minute that it means nothing. They want credit for something that they didn't do. Make a difference. Take a stand. Maybe someone else will see you pick up that board that isn't yours as you put it in the trash and do the same, all in the name of making things look better and cleaner.


Recently I saw an article about legacies. I thought long and hard about that and wondered what I've done. I don't want to be remembered for what I've done, built, or how much money I made. I want to be remembered for the contribution I've made to my kids and to other people. Since I was 17 I've enjoyed helping others and trying to make things better for people. You need a couple bucks? Here you go. You feel crappy? Here, let me give you some medicine and try to make you feel better. You don't understand that? Here, let me try to explain that to you so that you do. I enjoy seeing other people getting the due credit they so richly deserve but never have because they're like me; they won't brag or boast about accomplishments just to get recognized. They don't want to be in the spotlight. I too don't deserve it so I don't push myself on others. If I get noticed for anything, I want it to be for what I've done, based on my merits and the pride I've taken in my work.
Be proud of what you do. Look at all the peoples' lives you can possibly touch by doing a better job at work. A smile and a kind word goes a long way. The extra minute you spend on that task making the results just that much better can be the difference between a simple smile or a huge toothy grin full of gratitude and wonderment. Be that person who makes a difference in someone else's life.

My favorite thing to do here where I work? Walking down the halls and hoping I see a patient I can wave at. I truly love it when a child smiles and waves back at me. It really does make my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment