Thursday, July 28, 2011

Drives Me Nuts...

A toothache at 2am.

An earache at 430am.

Drunk drivers who hurt or kill other people when they're perfectly fine, other than the obvious fact that they're brains are switched "OFF."

Yep, ambulance runs. There's plenty more where that came from.

"Take me to _____ Hospital. I have my 'card' and you have to take me."

People who meet you outside their house with a packed suitcase in hand, ready to go.

"Can't get this damn splinter outta my hand."

"Oh, this ain't no big deal cher. I've had me 8 babies already. This one will be awright. Jes tired uh bein' damn pregunant like."

"Ain't gonna go there. They's some mean peoples there. Take me to ______ (60 miles away). They knows me theyuh (smiles with a toothless grin)."

A girl's first period with her mother right next to her. Would have thought the world was coming to an end.

Sore throat. Seriously? A damn sore throat???

Out of medication and there's plenty of free medicine at the hospitals.

"My momma's already theyuh and I wants to go see huh. Can y'all take me theyuh?"
"My hair hurts."

Big boogers that just can't be removed.

Bugs in ears.

People who get return trips to hospitals still wearing the gowns they came home with a month prior; and it looks like they haven't been washed or taken off that entire month.

Oxygenated patients who smoke, still smoke, or are presently smoking in my presence with oxygen on.

Patients who have to have a smoke before they go to the hospital. Sorry, I wait for no KOOL.

People who swear at me, not with me.

Assholes. Cocky.

Other healthcare providers who critique how I'm handling them or their family.

Healthcare providers who are on scene first and do the complete wrong thing for the patient's welfare.

Family members who just won't shut the hell up and let the patient speak for themself.

Police who don't help out when asked.

People who just won't help themselves. They don't care, don't give a shit, or whatever. If you don't, why should I?

Lastly (for now), people in EMS who don't have the passion, drive, compassion, to be there day after day helping others who truly need our skills and expertise. If you don't like it or want to be there, leave. You drag the rest of us down. 23 years in to my young EMS career and I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment